Joseph Sent to Egypt
Genesis 37:1-36; 39:1-41; 57
I am the God of your father Abraham. Do not be afraid, for I am with you. Genesis 26:24
Thank you for continuing this journey of The Gospel Project® for Kids. Today’s Bible story is about Joseph and his brothers. Jacob had 12 sons. They would become the leaders of the tribes of Israel. But Jacob’s favorite son was Joseph. Joseph was the son of Rachel, Jacob’s favorite wife, and Jacob didn’t hide his favoritism. Needless to say, Joseph’s brothers were jealous of Joseph. When Joseph told his brothers about the dream he had that they would one day bow down to him, the Bible says they could no longer speak peaceably with him. In short, they hated him.
Joseph’s brothers threw him into a pit with the intent to kill him. Then they figured they’d make a profit by selling him to people taking slaves to Egypt. Joseph was about seventeen years old when he was sold into Potiphar’s house. But God was with him–even when Potiphar’s wife had Joseph thrown into prison for something he didn’t do. God had a wonderful plan for Joseph. He raised up Joseph into a position of power in Egypt. Remind your kids that nothing can stop God’s perfect plan to send Jesus through the family of Israel.
KEY PASSAGE: Genesis 26:24
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- What can stop God’s plan? Nothing can stop God’s plan.
BIBLE STORY: JOSEPH SENT TO EGYPT
- Jacob’s brothers sold him to be a slave in Egypt.
- God showed Joseph what dreams meant.
- Pharaoh put Joseph in charge of collecting and storing grain.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- Many sad things happened to Joseph. Tell about a time something sad happened to you.
- God was with Joseph through all of those tough times. Talk about a tough time you went through as a family. Describe evidence of God’s grace.
- Think of a family that is going through a tough time. Take time to pray for them as a family.
- Go further: Serve that family by running errands for them, inviting them to dinner, or raking their yard.