David and Jonathon Became Friends
1 Samuel 18:1-12; 19:1-10; 20:1-42
“Sing a song of wisdom, for God is King of all the earth.” Psalm 47:7
This week we will continue to trace David’s rise to replace Saul as king. David’s victory over Goliath brought
David great fame and adoration in Israel. Saul had brought David into his court, but in time, Saul became
intensely jealous of David and even tried to kill him.
Meanwhile, David and Saul’s son Jonathan became true friends. Even though Jonathan was next in line to
be king after Saul, he recognized and accepted that God had chosen David instead. David and Jonathan’s
friendship points to an even greater friendship—our friendship with Jesus. Jesus calls us friends (John 15:15),
and he showed His love by dying to save us from sin.
Help your kids see Jesus is our King and He is our friend also.
KEY PASSAGE: Psalm 47:7
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- Who is our King? Jesus is our King forever.
BIBLE STORY: DAVID AND JONATHAN BECAME FRIENDS
- David and Jonathan became friends.
- King Saul wanted to hurt David.
- Jonathan warned David and helped keep him safe.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- Describe what you think makes someone a good friend.
- Who is your best friend? Why?
- Why do you think God gives us friends?
- Write thank-you notes or draw thank-you pictures to mail to friends as a thank you for their friendship.
- Call or send a message to a friend asking how you can pray for him or her. Pray for each request as a family.
- Plan a family outing with friends to play in a park, have a picnic, or go to the zoo.
NEXT WEEK- God Made a Covenant with David