David was Anointed and Fought Goliath
1 Samuel 16-17
“Sing a song of wisdom, for God is King of all the earth.” Psalm 47:7
As we continue our journey through the big story of the Bible this week, we come to God anointing
David to replace Saul as king and David’s victory over the giant Goliath. While Saul looked the part
to be king, David didn’t look like a strong warrior and seemed to be no match for the Philistine
champion. But God gave David power and he defeated Goliath.
God used this victory to position David as the next king and also to show us a picture of Jesus.
When Jesus came to earth, He didn’t look like a strong warrior either. But Jesus showed His power
when He died on the cross and rose again to defeat death.
Help your kids see the connection between David and Jesus. Talk about how God defeated Israel’s
enemy of Goliath and our greater enemy of sin and death. Guide your kids to see that David doesn’t
primarily teach us to be brave, but to trust in Jesus instead.
KEY PASSAGE: Psalm 47:7
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- Who is our King? Jesus is our King forever.
BIBLE STORY: DAVID WAS ANOINTED AND FOUGHT GOLIATH
- God chose David to be the next king of Israel.
- e Israelites were afraid of the Philistine warrior Goliath.
- God gave David power to defeat Goliath.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- God said He sees the heart. Take time to affirm ways you see God’s handiwork in the heart of each family member.
- How would you feel if you were in the Israelite army and heard Goliath picking on you?
- Can you think of someone else whom God used to save His people?
- Visit a nearby battlefield. If one is not nearby, find some images of one online. Talk about how God is in control of every battle, and one day, Jesus will bring peace forever.
NEXT WEEK “David and Jonathan Became Friends” (1 Samuel 18:1-12; 19:1-10; 20:1-42)