God Made a Covenant with David
2 Samuel 7
“Sing a song of wisdom, for God is King of all the earth.” Psalm 47:7
We continue the big story of the Bible this week with David recognizing that he was living in a
wood-paneled palace while the ark was still in a tent. David wanted to build a temple for God, but
God did not want David to build it. Instead, God told David that his son would build the temple, but
He made a covenant with David and promised that every future king of Israel would come from David’s family.
God kept His promise by sending His Son, Jesus, to be one of David’s descendants. Jesus is our
King who will never die; He will rule over God’s people forever.
Help your kids see that God’s promise to David to provide Jesus can be traced all the way back to
God’s promise to Adam and Eve and Abraham in Genesis. Remind them that God had promised
from the beginning that He was going to provide a Rescuer to break the power of sin and death and
that the Rescuer is Jesus.
KEY PASSAGE: Psalm 47:7
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- Who is our King? Jesus is our King forever.
BIBLE STORY: GOD MADE A COVENANT WITH DAVID
- David wanted to build a temple for God.
- God said David’s son would build Him a temple, not David.
- God said Jesus would be part of David’s family.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- God reminded David of what He had done for David. Remind each other of things God has done for your family.
- God promised David that every king would be from His family. What are some things God promises us in the Bible?
- Spend time with members of your extended family. Invite older family members to share family stories from years ago.
- Arrange for some special one-on-one time between one parent and one child.
Next Week: David Sinned and Was Restored