Wisdom for God’s People
Proverbs 1:1-7; 3:1-12; 4:10-19
“The Lord gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding.” Proverbs 2:6
Last week we learned how King Solomon asked God for wisdom and God made him wise. This week we will explore some of Solomon’s wisdom that he was guided by God to write in the Book of Proverbs. Proverbs provides God’s people with great principles for living.
Wisdom comes from God. He made the world and knows how it works best. Everyone is born a foolish sinner, but God sent His Son to earth to save us. The Bible says that Jesus is the wisdom of God. Jesus makes us wise and holy. He frees us from sin.
Help your kids see their need to trust in Jesus to be truly wise, not to simply try to live like Jesus. True wisdom comes from God and transforms us. That is the nature of the gospel.
KEY PASSAGE: Proverbs 2:6
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- Where does wisdom come from? Wisdom comes from God.
BIBLE STORY: WISDOM FOR GOD’S PEOPLE
- Solomon wrote down wise sayings in the Book of Proverbs.
- Wisdom begins with fearing, or respecting, God.
- Wisdom is loving God and obeying His Word.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- Talk about what it looks like to fear God. (to respect God and be amazed by Him)
- How can knowing God loves you help you obey Him?
- Why is it wise to stay away from people who do wrong things?
- Notice family members making decisions this week. A rm wise decisions and gently correct foolish ones.
- Create a “Family Book of Wisdom” to contain wise rules and practices for your home based on biblical principles.
NEXT WEEK “Solomon Built the Temple” (1 Kings 6-8)