God Saved His People Through Esther
“His mercies never end. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness!” Lamentations 3:22-23
During the time of Queen Esther—more than 450 years before Jesus was born—the Jewish people were scattered around the Persian Empire. The Book of Esther tells the unlikely story of a young Jewish woman who, as the queen of the Persian Empire, saved her people.
After Esther was chosen as the queen of Persia, she received news that an evil man named Haman had a plan to kill all of the Jews. The Book of Esther is the only book in the Bible that never mentions God by name, but God clearly worked through Esther and her cousin Mordecai to save the Jewish people. Mordecai even suggested to Esther that God’s hand was in the situation: “Who knows, perhaps you have come to your royal position for such a time as this” (Esth. 4:14)
If Haman was successful in killing all the Jews, his evil plan would put God’s promises in jeopardy. God had promised to bless the world through Abraham’s family and to send a King from the line of David who would rule forever.
Esther had a choice to make. She could do nothing and face destruction (Esth. 4:13-14), or she could risk her life by approaching the king to plead for the protection of the Jews. Esther and the Jewish people prayed and fasted for three days before Esther went to the king.
Esther was welcomed by the king, who offered to give her anything she wanted—up to half of the kingdom. Esther told the king of Haman’s plot against her people. The king ordered that Haman be killed instead!
God was in control over Haman’s evil plan to destroy the Jews. Like Haman, Satan wants to destroy believers. Satan thought he had won when Jesus died on the cross, but God raised Jesus from the dead and defeated Satan once and for all.
Help your kids understand that Jesus is the greater Esther. Esther risked her life to rescue God’s people but Jesus gave up His life to rescue God’s people.
Check this session’s Activity Page and Big Picture Card as well as the Gospel Project for Kids Family App for ways to interact with the Bible content this week.
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- Does God keep His promises? Yes, God is always faithful.
BIBLE STORY: GOD SAVED HIS PEOPLE THROUGH ESTHER
- Esther went to the king to try to save God’s people.
- The king held out his scepter so Esther could live.
- Esther told the king at her feast about Haman’s evil plan.
- God used Esther to save His people.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- What are some things God controls?
- When does it feel like God is not in control?
- What did Jesus do to show He has power over evil?
- Look up a recipe for hamantaschen and prepare the Jewish treat. Read about the Jewish holiday, Purim.
- Pray for the Jewish people to believe that Jesus is the Messiah whom God promised to send.
NEXT WEEK “Nehemiah Heard News of Jerusalem” (Nehemiah 1—2)