Jerusalem’s Walls Were Rebuilt
Nehemiah 3:1- 6:16
“His mercies never end. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness!” Lamentations 3:22-23
City walls and gates were very important in Bible times. Walls were built to be several feet thick. They protected a city from its enemies and provided a sense of safety and security. Gates were the center of city life, the meeting place for commercial and social transactions. Without these structures, the surviving remnant of God’s people struggled and was vulnerable to attack.
Nehemiah traveled from Persia to Jerusalem to lead the effort in rebuilding Jerusalem’s walls. Nehemiah’s leadership was effective. Nehemiah 3 describes all the people working together to rebuild the gates and walls.
But it wasn’t long before Nehemiah met opposition from local governors who planned to attack God’s people. God’s people armed themselves and kept working. They completed the wall in just 52 days.
Note how their enemies reacted: “All the surrounding nations were intimidated and lost their confidence, for they realized that this task had been accomplished by our God” (Neh. 6:16). Now God’s people were protected from their enemies.
Nehemiah led the people to rebuild the walls around Jerusalem to protect them from their enemies. Jesus came to protect us from our enemies. He died on the cross and rose from the dead to rescue people from sin and death.
Help your kids see that God provided the way for us to be protected from our enemies, sin and death. He sent His Son, Jesus, to die on the cross for our sins. When we repent and trust in Jesus, He frees us from sin and death. We still sin, but we are no longer slaves to sin. (See Rom. 6:17-18.) We may die a physical death as a result of sin, but we have eternal life. (See John 11:25-26; Rom. 6:23.)
Check this session’s Activity Page and Big Picture Card as well as the Gospel Project for Kids Family App for ways to interact with the Bible content this week.
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- Does God keep His promises? Yes, God is always faithful.
BIBLE STORY: JERUSALEM’S WALLS WERE REBUILT
- God led Nehemiah to rebuild the walls around Jerusalem.
- Everyone worked together.
- Their enemies did not want God’s people to repair the walls.
- God’s people kept working and finished rebuilding the wall.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- Talk about a time you worked together as a family to complete a task.
- What made Nehemiah a good leader for God’s people?
- How does Jesus protect us from our enemies of sin and death?
- Visit an elderly neighbor’s home to help with repairs or other household tasks.
- Join a neighborhood beautification project to help clean up areas in your city that need attention.
NEXT WEEK “Ezra Read the Law” (Nehemiah 8:1-12)