Jesus Healed a Woman and Raised a Girl
“My soul, bless the Lord… He forgives all your iniquity; He heals all your diseases.” Psalm 103:2-3
Jesus had just returned from the region of the Gerasenes, where He had healed a man with an unclean spirit. He crossed the Sea of Galilee and came on shore, where He was surrounded by a large crowd of people. News of Jesus’ teachings and healings was spreading, and people wanted to see Jesus. They wanted to learn from Him and be healed.
Jairus, a leader in the synagogue, came to Jesus in crisis. His daughter was at the point of death. Without Jesus’ help, she would surely die. Jesus went with Jairus, but as He walked, a woman in the crowd came up behind Him and touched His robes. She too was desperate for healing. The woman believed that Jesus’ power was strong enough to heal her even if all she did was touch His robes. Because she had faith, Jesus healed her.
Imagine Jairus’s devastation when he heard that his daughter had died. The people suggested that Jesus was too late to help her, but Jesus proved them wrong. He went to Jairus’s house and raised the little girl from the dead.
By healing the woman and raising the little girl from the dead, Jesus showed His power as the Messiah. Jesus died on the cross and rose again to save people from sin and death. When we trust in Jesus, God forgives our sin and changes us to be more like His Son
As you talk with your kids, point out that the woman and the father of the little girl came to Jesus in faith. They needed Jesus’ help, and they trusted in Jesus’ power to heal. After Jesus died on the cross and rose from the dead, He ascended to heaven. Even though Jesus is not physically on earth today, we can pray and ask God to heal people who are sick. Whether or not God grants physical healing, we can rest knowing that He brings ultimate healing through His Son, Jesus.
Check this session’s Activity Page and Big Picture Card as well as the Gospel Project for Kids Family App for ways to interact with the Bible content this week.
KEY PASSAGE: Psalm 103:2-3
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- What did Jesus heal people from? Jesus healed people from sickness, sin, and death.
BIBLE STORY: JESUS HEALED A WOMAN AND RAISED A GIRL
- Jairus asked Jesus to heal his sick daughter.
- A sick woman was healed when she touched Jesus’ clothes as He went to Jairus’s house.
- A messenger told Jairus that his daughter had died.
- Jesus healed a woman and raised a girl from the dead.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- Why did Jesus say the woman’s faith had healed her?
- What does this story tell us about Jesus’ power?
- Choose clothing from your family’s closets to give away to a family in need or a local ministry.
- Visit a local children’s hospital and deliver snack items and activity books for family members to enjoy.
NEXT WEEK “Jesus Raised Lazarus” (John 11:1-7,17-44)