Achan’s Sin and the Defeat of Ai
“Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
As we continue exploring the Old Testament this week, we will encounter Achan disobeying God and taking something from Jericho after its defeat. Because of this, when Israel attacked Ai next, they suffered defeat. God helped Joshua uncover Achan’s sin, and God punished Achan for his sin.
The punishment for Achan’s sin was death. It seems harsh, but the Bible says that the wages of sin is death. (Romans 6:23) Because we sin, we deserve to die too. Jesus came to die in our place. When we confess our sins and trust in Jesus, we are forgiven and saved from spiritual death.
Help your children see that God takes sin seriously, but He also offers forgiveness and eternal life with God through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
KEY PASSAGE: Joshua 1:9
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- Whom can we trust? We can trust God.
BIBLE STORY: ACHAN’S SIN AND THE DEFEAT OF AI
- God had told the Israelites to take nothing from Jericho. Achan disobeyed God and was punished for his sin.
- When Israel attacked Ai, God did not fight for them.
- After Achan was punished for his sin, God fought for His people and they defeated Ai.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- How can our sin can affect others? Share specific examples.
- Read Proverbs 3:12. Why is discipline loving?
- Invite each person to write down ways he/she has sinned on paper. Destroy the papers, and thank God for His complete forgiveness through Jesus.
- Go further: Drive through your city, praying that people who live and work there turn from sin and trust in Jesus.
“Joshua’s Final Encouragement” (Joshua 23:1-24:28)