Apologetics – Evangelism (Colossians 2:2-4)
A Definition of Evangelism
Evangelism is presenting the good news of Christ’s death and resurrection,with the invitation and intent of seeing the hearer come to faith in Christ.
• Presence Evangelism: Living the Christian life around non-Christians is not enough.
• Proclamation Evangelism: Simply announcing the gospel is not enough.
• Persuasion Evangelism: “You must convince the non-Christian” is too much.
Two Paramount Concerns
Boldness in evangelism is the courage to speak with clarity, freedom, and confidence about the Gospel.
• Clarity – Colossians 4:1-4
• Boldness – Ephesians 6:18-20
The Gospel Message – A Costly Offer made Free and Clear
• The Gospel Facts (1 Corinthians 15:3-10)
• Christ died for our sins.
– according to the Scriptures
– proof by burial
• Christ was raised from the dead.
– according to the Scriptures
– proof by appearances
• The Gospel Act (1 Corinthians 15:1-2, 11)
• Bad News: The Problem of Sin
– Exposure: “I am a sinner by God’s holy standard.”
– Conviction: “I am guilty and someone must pay.”
• Good News: The Solution of Salvation
– Exposure: “Christ died for my sins in my place.”
– Faith: “I trust in Christ’s provision to reconcile me to God.”
Christians are called to boldly share the gospel,
making the goods news clear and inviting people to faith.
- Monday: 1 Corinthians 15:1-11
- Tuesday: Colossians 4:1-6
- Wednesday: Acts 18:1-11
- Thursday: Acts 26:12-18
- Friday: Luke 5:1-11
Next Steps from Today’s Message
- Be- I will review the gospel in my own life and affirm my faith.
- Multiply- I will share the gospel with a non-Christian.
- Go- I will ask God to make me more clear and more bold.
Home Church Questions
- Read Colossians 4:1-4, 1 Corinthians 15:1-11 and Ephesians 6:18-20.
- Discuss the message. Is there anything that stood out as important, new, challenging, or helpful?
- Why is evangelism so difficult?
- Do you know anyone with the gift of evangelism? What makes you think they have the gift?
- In Colossians 4:1-4 Paul asks that people pray for clarity when sharing the gospel. Why is this so important?
- In Ephesians 6:18-20 Paul asks that people pray for boldness when sharing the gospel. Why is this so important?
- Whom do you need to share the gospel with in a clear and bold manner?
New to fellowship? // We’re so glad you’re here today // Inside the bulletin you will find a Connection Card // Please fill it out and bring it to the Connection Center in the atrium // We will give you a welcome gift and answer your questions.
A Bow // If you would like an opportunity to bless someone through two local ministries in the Conway area – Glenhaven and Life After Prison Ministries, stop by the Angel Tree in the atrium TODAY // Pick a bow off the tree and return the item(s) listed on it back to the Connection Center by Sunday, December 13.
A Better Experience // As God continues to bring new people to Fellowship, we want our visitors to have the best possible first impression of FBC // We have 2 opportunities as part of our Christmas Offering on December 13th to make coming to Fellowship a better experience: 1. New furniture in the atrium (don’t look too closely at the stuff that is currently out there…or do and you will see why it is time to upgrade). 2. Additional parking spaces on the northwest side.
Parents’ Night Out // Enjoy a little time of your own during this busy holiday season while we have fun with your kids // December 11, 6-9 PM for kids birth-4th grade // RSVP to email@example.com // Childcare for children under three, please, email Shanna Franklin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Christmas Eve // We know it is still a way off but wanted you to be able to mark your calendars and make plans to bring the family // We will be having two Christmas Eve worship services this year at 5:00 and 7:00 p.m. // Be praying about who God would have you invite.
Guest Reception Join us for lunch at our Guest Reception after 2nd service on Sunday, January 17 // We’d love to get to know you and let you get to know Fellowship // Join us as Teaching Pastor Ken Wilson shares the mission and vision of Fellowship.
The Updated Fellowship Mobile App // Use your smartphone to listen to sermons, view digital bulletins, submit prayer requests, and more. Available at Fellowshipconway.org/app.
Downline Discipleship Summit // Want to get encouraged and further equipped for discipleship? // Downline Summit, February 5-6 in Memphis // More info and sign-up at www.fellowshipconway.org/DL-Summit
July 1 – November 29, 2015
Weekly Budget Needs $21,577
Giving for 11/22/15 21,243
Giving for 11/29/15 20,558
Year to Date Needed 473,310
Year to Date Giving 475,650
Over (Under) Budget 2,340