For Teaching Slides: click here
Introduction: Some Important Words:
• “atonement” (רֶפִכ) –
• “atonement cover”, “mercy seat” (תֶרֹפַכ) –
• “scapegoat”, “Azazel” (לֵזאזֲע) –
Limited Access to God
Entering God’s presence must not be taken lightly. (16:1-2)
Humble Access to God
Entering God’s presence requires recognizing our sinfulness. (16:3-5)
Prescribed Access to God
Entering God’s presence requires full atonement. (16:6-10)
Purification for Access to God
Entering God’s presence requires purification by blood. (16:11-19)
Removal of Sin for Access to God
Entering God’s presence requires removal of sin. (16:22-28)
Regular Access to God
Entering God’s presence requires spiritual preparation. (16:29-34)
The Lord invites His people into His presence
on the basis of substitutionary blood atonement
and substitutionary removal of sin.
- Monday: Hebrews 7:23-28
- Tuesday: Hebrews 9:11-15
- Wednesday: Hebrews 9:16-28
- Thursday: Hebrews 10:1-18
- Friday: Leviticus 17
Next Steps from Today’s Message
- I will praise the Lord with my lips and my life for providing eternal atonement by the blood of Jesus Christ.
- I will praise the Lord with my lips and my life for removing my sin by the substitutionary death of Jesus Christ.
Home Church Questions Read Leviticus 17:1-16.
- Is there anything that was new, memorable, or meaningful from this week’s message?
- Is there an immediate application you know you need to make?
- Review the sacrifices in Leviticus 1-7:
• Reparation offering for unintentional sins that damage others (5:14-6:7)
• Purification offering for unintentional sins and defilement (4:1-5:14)
• Burnt offering to make for atonement for unintentional sins (1:1-17)
• Meal offering to acknowledge the Lord’s ownership of everything (2:1-16)
• Peace offering celebrating fellowship with the Lord (3:1-17)
- How is the Day of Atonement different from the other sacrifices?
- How does Christ fulfill the Day of Atonement?
- How can we take advantage of the access provided by Jesus?
- How do we take entering God’s presence lightly?
- What would humble access to God look like in our lives?
New to Fellowship? We’re so glad you’re here today. Inside the bulletin you will find a Connection Card. Please fill it out and bring it to the Connection Center in the atrium where you will receive a welcome gift as well as answers to any questions you may have about the different ministries here at Fellowship. You can also send us a message at any time by clicking here. One of our staff would love to connect with you to help with any questions you have.
Fellowship on the River! Grab your family, friends, and neighbors and join us on Sunday evening, May 7, 4:00 pm for Fellowship on the River, held here at Fellowship. Bring your lawn chairs, blankets and anything else you might need to be comfortable as you enjoy great music, great food, and hanging out with friends and family. Didn’t buy a food ticket? Pack a picnic dinner and join us anyway!
Baby Dedication Next Week The dedication of babies is a special time for parents to commit to bring up their children in the ways of the Lord before family and friends. We will have a special baby dedication on Sunday, May 14 (both services). Contact Lisa Gerdes to have your baby dedicated.
Fellowship Kids Camp is a great opportunity for your kids (K – 4th) to learn more about the Bible and have a great time doing it! Registration opens this week! Register your kids on our website by clicking here (registration ends May 29). Cost is $25 per child. Contact Heather
Baby Bottle & Diaper Drive to Support Moms Our Girlfriends ministry is providing an opportunity for us to help mothers in our community by partnering with local ministries through a baby bottle and diaper drive. Purchase diapers or pick up a baby bottle (bottles available beginning May 14) to fill with change. Drop off items at the Connections Center through May 21. Contact Lisa at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.Ladies Summer Book Club Join other women this summer through a discussion of Pete Greig’s ‘God on Mute: Engaging the Silence of Prayer’. Tuesdays, 6:30-8:00 p.m., June 13 – July 25. Childcare is available upon request. Register online by clicking here. For more information, email Page McKelvy.
Night of Prayer for Missionaries Join us here at Fellowship on Sunday, May 21, 6:30-8pm, for a focused time of praying for our missionaries, global workers, and for all that God is doing around the world in spreading the Gospel.
Fellowship Kids Summer Celebration Join other Fellowship families Saturday, June 3, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm as we celebrate the start of summer with fun games, face painting, popsicles, and even a dunking booth. Contact Heather Fulmer for more information.
Weekly Budget Needs $23,033
Giving for Week Ending 04/23/17 25,545
Giving for Week Ending 04/30/17 21,561
Year to Date Needed 1,013,455
Year to Date Giving 1,074,324
Over (Under) Budget 60,869