Hearing is Doing – James 1:21-27
Theme Stated Memorably: The Actions Need to Endure (1:19)
• Quick to Hear
• Slow to Speak
• Slow to Anger
Theme Restated Practically: The Actions Need to Endure (1:20-26)
• Slow to Anger – Anger does not draw you closer to God (1:20)
• Quick to Hear – The Process of hearing demands application (1:21-25)
Thoroughly prepare your heart (1:21a)
Humbly receive the Word (1:21a)
Intensely apply the truth (1:22-25)
“This man will be blessed.” – _______________________________
• Slow to Speak – A loose tongue can ruin it all (1:26)
Immediate Application: Pure Religious Action (1:27)
• Helping the Helpless – Care for the disenfranchised in the world.
• Separated from Sin – Keep yourself uncontaminated by the world.
Success in trials all about relationships.
Listen to God. Apply the Word.
Control your tongue. Serve the needy.
Resist the world’s values.
- Monday: 2 Timothy 3:10-17
- Tuesday: Hebrews 4:11-12
- Wednesday: 1 Peter 1:13-16
- Thursday: 2 Peter 1:5-11
- Friday: James 2:1-13
Next Steps from Today’s Message
- I will commit to pray about my particular issues with anger.
- I will make a list of things I know God is asking me to apply. I will review the list and start making application.
- I will find a place to reach out to needy people this week.
Home Church Questions
- Read James 1:19-27.
- Discuss the message. Is there anything that stood out as important, new, challenging, or helpful?
- How do people get angry? What is the difference between “anger” and “wrath”?
- How can we shorten the distance between when we know what God wants us to do, and when we actually do it?
- How have you learned the hard way by not being slow to speak?
- What forms can “not controlling the tongue” take? Which one do you struggle with? Is anybody in the group willing to tell you? I wonder why?
- How do you spend time in God’s Word? How do we make certain we apply scripture?
- Discuss the C.S. Lewis quote Ken used
We read of spiritual efforts, and our imagination makes us believe that, because we enjoy the idea of doing them, we have done them. I am appalled to see how much of the change which I thought I had undergone lately was only imaginary. The real work seems still to be done. It is so fatally easy to confuse an aesthetic appreciation of the spiritual life with the life itself–to dream that you have waked, washed, and dressed, and then to find yourself still in bed.
C.S. Lewis; letter to his friend Arthur Greeves dated 15 June 1930).
- Talk about your “long obedience in the same direction.”
New to Fellowship? We’re so glad you’re here today. Inside the bulletin you will find a Connection Card. Please fill it out and bring it to the Connection Center in the atrium where you will receive a welcome gift as well as answers to any questions you may have about the different ministries here at Fellowship.
Fellowship Kids Summer 2016 We have 15 spots left for serving during the summer session. Join the team! Contact Heather McKinney at email@example.com to sign up now.
Diapers, Wipes & Baby Bottles Next Sunday is the last day to drop off diapers, wipes, and baby bottles to the Connection Center. This is a great opportunity for the Fellowship body to reach out and bless the ministry of Life Choices and Soul Food Cafe. If you are not able to bring your donation next Sunday, please take them directly to the appropriate ministry.
Summer Family Bash School is almost out… are you ready to celebrate? We are teaming with the Girlfriends Ministry to bring an opportunity for Fellowship families to come together for games, summer treats, and lots of fun. Bring your whole family and join us for our end of the school year bash. Meet us on our playground Saturday, May 21, from 10:00 a.m.- noon. Warning: Things may get messy!
Men at Work The men of Fellowship are putting James 1:27 into action the weekend of June 11 as we serve widows and others in need. Friday, from 7-10 PM, we will meet at Fellowship to coordinate jobs, connect teams and have fun. Come back to Fellowship Saturday morning at 8:00 AM for prayer and breakfast, before heading to the work sites. Be a “doer of the word” and contact Andy for more information firstname.lastname@example.org or 501-314-9121.
Nabholz Gift Card Shower After six years serving as our missionaries in India, Grant and Nicole Nabholz are transitioning off the field to live here in Conway. We want to celebrate their years of faithful service by showering them with gifts cards. They have purchased a home here in Conway so keep that in mind when getting your gift cards. The shower will be Sunday, May 15, from 2-4 at the home of Shane and Anna Wanamaker, 916 Heather Circle.
Summer Missions Please be praying for our summer mission trips to Arlington, Texas, Costa Rica, and the Czech Republic. Still a few spots left for the Costa Rica trip, email Lauren Ramoly at email@example.com.
July 1 – May 1, 2016
Weekly Budget Needs $21,577
Giving for 04/24/16 22,293
Giving for 05/01/16 22,221
Year to Date Needed 947,834
Year to Date Giving 969,487
Over (Under) Budget 21,653