Core Competencies Needed in Trials
Double Introduction: (1:1-18)
• The Attitude Needed to Thrive:
Joy at the Prospect of Growth (1:1-11)
• The Action Needed to Thrive:
Endurance in Anticipation of Life (1:12-18)
Body: The Actions Needed to Endure (1:19-5:6)
Main Idea: In the Midst of Trials be… (1:19-20)
• Quick to Hear – Active in Obedience (1:21-2:24)
• Slow to Speak – Quiet and Controlled in Response (3:1-18)
• Slow to Anger – Humble in Relationships (4:1-5:6)
Double Conclusion: (5:7-20)
• Motivations for Endurance (5:7-11)
• Enduring Trials in Community (5:12-20)
Summary of James
James, writing to former members of his church in Jerusalem who were now scattered because of the persecution of Christians spearheaded by Paul, encourages them to endure the trials they were facing by being active in their obedience, quiet in their response, and humble in their relationships,
so that trials would produce character
and a full life rather than bitterness and living death.
- Monday: Matthew 5:1-12
- Tuesday: 1 Peter 1:1-2
- Wednesday: 1 Peter 1:3-9
- Thursday: 1 Peter 1:10-16
- Friday: James 1:22-27
Next Steps from Today’s Message
- I will commit to being quick to listen–active in my obedience.
- I will commit to being slow to speak–quiet in my response.
- I will commit to being slow to anger–humble in my relationships.
Home Church Questions
- Read James 1:19-20.
- Discuss the message. Is there anything that stood out as important, new, challenging, or helpful?
- When have you learned the hard way by not being quick to listen to what God has said?
- How can we shorten the distance between when we know what God wants us to do and when we actually do it?
- How have you learned the hard way by not being slow to speak?
- What forms can “not controlling the tongue” take? Which one do you struggle with? Is anybody in the group willing to tell you? I wonder why?
- How have you learned the hard way by not being slow to anger?
- Relationships with God and with others get chaotic when we focus exclusively on ourselves. Why does it work this way?
- What motivates you to endure well?
New to Fellowship? We’re so glad you’re here today. Inside the bulletin you will find a Connection Card. Please fill it out and bring it to the Connection Center in the atrium where you will receive a welcome gift as well as answers to any questions you may have about the different ministries here at Fellowship.
Fellowship Kids Summer 2016 God is doing great things in Fellowship Kids and we are excited to see what He has in store for us this summer. Our summer session begins on June 5, which is just 5 weeks away! Sign up now to be a part of our team. Contact Heather McKinney or Heather Fulmer for more information or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Baby Dedication Next week, we will have a special baby dedication on Sunday, May 8 (both services). To have your baby dedicated, please email email@example.com by noon Wednesday.
Mother’s Day The Girlfriend’s Ministry is sponsoring a baby bottle drive for Life Choices and a diaper/wipes drive for Soul Food Café. Please return Life Choices Baby bottles filled with change or checks (made out to Life Choices) and diapers and wipes to the Connection Center by May 15th (after, please drop off directly to Life Choices or Soul Food). Baby bottles can be picked up at the Connection Center.
Staying Current with Fellowship Fellowship sends out weekly emails with upcoming events and information that we want to be sure you don’t miss out on. Please take a moment to fill out the Connection Card in your bulletin with your current email address and place in the offering basket. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter. Search “Fellowship Conway.”
Summer Family Bash School is almost out… are you ready to celebrate? We are teaming with the Girlfriends Ministry to bring an opportunity for Fellowship families to come together for games, ice cream, and lots of fun. Bring your whole family and join us for our end of the school year celebration. Meet us on our playground Saturday, May 21, from 10:00 a.m.- noon. Warning: Things may get messy!
Costa Rica Mission Trip Opportunity We are looking for a few more men and women who will go serve kids and their moms in the slums of San Jose, Costa Rica. Living in complete poverty, these women and children not only need life skills and to know they are loved, but need to hear about the Gospel that brings hope and life! What an opportunity for you to make a difference! Want to learn more? Contact Lauren Ramoly at firstname.lastname@example.org or Loi Booher at email@example.com. Dates are July 30-August 6 with the cost around $1600.
July 1 – April 24, 2016
Weekly Budget Needs $21,577
Giving for 04/17/16 18,485
Giving for 04/24/16 22,293
Year to Date Needed 926,257
Year to Date Giving 947,266
Over (Under) Budget 21,009